Sunday, June 13, 2010

Kidnapped!


For some time, the boys and I have read books aloud together. This is apart from some of our other reading projects.  Together we have read, In His Steps, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," "Rip van Winkle," A Christmas Carol, and The Prince and the Pauper. Now, we are working on Robert Louis Stevenson's Kidnapped. The tremendous adventures of young David Balfour carry us away to faraway places and put us in the presence of some rather frightening pirates and scoundrels.  (Oh yes, we also read Treasure Island). The boys really seem to be getting into the pirate life--I love hearing them read with their "pirate accents." We are also reading a biography of Stevenson and some of his beautiful poetry.

3 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds like great fun. I fondly remember reading mysteries to mother aloud in the lazy summer afternoons. That reminds me - a new blog friend who is a librarian told me about a series of Christian fictions that I had not heard of. I'll be back to tell you the title shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The series is Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes. She says they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mildred! I'll look into those!

    ReplyDelete